The International Union of Superiors General (UISG) will have its Plenary Session in Rome, at the Hotel Ergife, from May 6th to May 10th 2007. Some 800 Superiors General from 80 countries are expected to attend the five-day meeting. All the material will be translated into 5 languages. Tables will be set up by language groups: English, French, German, Italian Spanish, Korean and Japanese. The Plenary takes place every three years and is presided over by the President of the Union. It is a wonderful opportunity to see and understand how Religious Life is lived in the worldwide Church. Bonds are formed at the different gatherings and also at the sharing of prayer, and the Eucharist. There is grace here for all. It is a great benefit to be together to reflect and discern God's will for Religious Women in the Church of today and in our world.
The theme, Challenged to Weave a New Spirituality which Generates Hope and Life For All, evolved from a consultation with all the Superiors General who are members of the Union. The topics to be discussed show the five threads that need to be woven into a new fabric, a spirituality for our time: Women, the Laity, the Religions of the World, the Displaced, and the Earth and its Sacredness.
These important issues are challenges for our world today. What contributions can Religious Women make in response to these challenges, while bearing witness to the values of Jesus Christ?
Father Thomas Hughes, SVD, an Irish missionary who has been living in Brazil for 34 years will give the Keynote address. It will be based on the importance of the Word of God – Always New, foundation of all spirituality. It is the Source from which we drink to have life, to listen to God's call, to satisfy our thirst.
A short reflection on each of the threads will be given by persons from different Continents:
- Sr Christiane Lorcy, F.J., Superior General of the Filles de Jésus, from France will speak about the Displaced Persons.
- Mr Adnan Mokrani, PhD, from Tunisia, will share on Inter-Religious Dialogue as a Spiritual Way from his Muslim experience
- Sr Donna Geernaert, S.C., Superior General of the Sisters of Charity of Halifax and President of the Conference of Religious of Canada on The Earth and its Sacredness.
- Sr Marie-Angèle Kitewo, SNDdeN, General Councillor of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur, from the Republic of the Congo, will talk about Women: The Woman with Full and Calloused Hands.
- Sr Katrina Brill, S.J.S.H., Superior General of the Sisters of Saint Joseph for the Sacred Heart from New Zealand on The Laity Strand.
For a daliy update during the plenary session, including excepts from the presentations and photos, please go to www.uisg.org